Jump to page contentSkip Jump to page content
The Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Moscow Music Theatre was founded in 1941 when two companies were merged, the Stanislavsky Opera Theatre which was established at the end of 1918 as an opera studio of the Bolshoi and the Nemirovich-Danchenko Music Theatre which was founded in 1919 as the studio of the Moscow Art Theatre. The new company followed the artistic principles of its founders, Konstantin Stanislavsky and Vladimir Nemirovich-Danchenko. The company always performed a wide and varied repertoire of classical and modern operas by Russian and foreign composers alike. They presented the first Moscow performances of War and Peace (Prokofiev) and Katerina Ismailova (Shostakovich). Working mainly with a Russian ensemble and creators the company had close relations with the Komische Oper of Berlin and both Walter Felsenstein and Harry Kupfer directed in Moscow. The Stanislavsky Opera performs regularly in its own theatre in Moscow and in international tours. This is the company’s Israeli debut.